What does enterprise mobility mean for enterprises?
It means it is high time to migrate the millions of Win32 & Web 1.0 and legacy apps that currently run global business to mobile, to cloud, to social and analytics. The question – is that easy? Talk to those on the front lines and they will tell you it is not. Migrating these applications involve considerable pain in lost time, high cost and effort. Perhaps understanding the pain will help with solutions to mitigate it. It involves migrations of front end systems and back end systems.
Let us understand the pain involved in backend migration:
- It means that enterprises have to migrate distributed broker technologies like CORBA, RMI, DCOM & RPC to RESTful APIs or SOAP APIs.
- It means migrating Visual Basic, Delphi, PowerBuilder, JBuilder, & Visual Café based Win32 apps to responsive and HTML5 mobile apps.
- It means migrating very large, complex, monolithic Win32 app to multiple, task-focused, single-purpose lightweight think and thick client mobile apps.
- It means migrating Win32 apps only aware of their client/server database to mobile apps that have to be aware of many sources, and of every device sensor in an IOT world.
- It means migrating desktop databases used by Win32 apps like FoxPro, dBase & Access to SQLlite, No SQL, MongoDB or other cloud databases across all mobile devices.
- It means migrating Win32 client/server apps directly connected via ODBC, JDBC, ADO, & Net Listener to REST, JSON, XML web services
Let us understand the pain involved in front end sytems:
- It means migrating Win32 apps that run on Windows systems to newer and mobile friendly operating systems like chrome, iOS etc,
- It means migrating Win32 apps that run on large screens to different real estate on smaller screens and wearable devices
- It means migrating Win32 apps with cursor controls to mobile apps with a touch-first paradigm, two touch zoom able interface
- It means migrating Win32 apps with busy, confusing screens to intuitive mobile apps where screens focus on a single task or intuitive idea.
- It means going away from large forms, inputs and navigations to a single window with minimal or no navigation.
- It means migrating Win32 apps that rely on client/server database logins to mobile apps using enterprise directories in the cloud.
- It means migrating Win32 apps to Mobile apps the prompt for individual and enterprise credentials & provide their own authentication and encryption for data at rest & transit.
- It means migrating Win32 apps to a mobile app that does not ever assume platforms where it runs are encrypted, use VPN and are secure.
- It means replacing wasteful, server round-trip Web 1.0 apps built w/ Cold Fusion, CGI, ASP, Servlets, Perl & Livewire.
- It means replacing desktop-focused, Web 1.0 apps with mobile cloud apps using responsive design
All of this means hell of a lot of time, cost and reduced time to market for enterprises.
It need not be. What if there is a better way to reach this end with full operational efficiency and smarter experience on all devices. It is possible through a disruptive cloud based e.g. MoNimbus i.e. designed to address the problem, remove the pain, and add significant value for less investment to replatform enterprises. It is designed for intelligent mobile experience through transformed workflows in real time on any device for lesser cost and time. Value such as :
- Transforming enterprise applications to intelligent mobile experience at time of access on any device anywhere
- Transforming enterprise applications to mobile experience in both native and mobile web mode across platforms – iOS, android, BB, Windows.
- Mobile-enabling any backend business systems by wrapping them w/ REST + JSON APIs accessible by any device.
- Bringing mobile web-scale to backend business systems via adapters, replication, sharing, queuing & caching
- Enforcing policies on users, devices and apps, to prevent data leakage through a resident security stack.
- Using geo location information, time, sensors, and social, analytics, and user preferences to deliver contextual experiences at the time of access.
- Efficiency in app code to reduce I/O, require fewer CPU cycles, minimize memory usage & not assume connectivity
- Facilitating User driven mashup of cloud and mobile apps + push notifications to deliver on actionable, analytic insights.
- Using industry standard security mechanisms for authentications such as OAuth2.0, SSO with various third party systems.
- Facilitating user experience conditioned to be significantly better than the backend application but in real time.
- Making the app resilient and dynamic taking changes to the backend and incorporating it in the mobile experience in real time.
- Servicing mobile users through globally-distributed and available cloud services w/ low network latency.
- Providing built in MoNimbus adapters for digital spaces such as social, documents and maps to improve collaboration and productivity.
Whats there to not like in replatforming enterprises with such a cloud based approach?